Kamadhenu the Wishfulfilling Cow


About 10 days from Diwali I received a message from an ex neighbour/gym friend. She wrote to me complimenting my Rainbow Shiva painting

Here is a picture of the Rainbow Shiva Mandala for reference .


She had fallen in love with the vibrancy and obvious potency of this mandala and wanted nothing more than to bring him home. Upon discussing with elders of the house however ,she was dissuaded from bringing a Shiva into the house if she wasn't ready to commit to a stringent Shiva worship ritual. 
A lot of traditional Hindu families are of the same belief , that is, if you get a Shiva into the home then you must not neglect to worship him. As she felt she wasn't ready for the commitment she enquired if I could do a smaller, similar piece but with a Cow and Calf holding centre stage instead of Shiva,.
 I instantly jumped at the opportunity as just a few days prior my mother had been speaking of the Generosity and maternal nature of the Cow and she spoke at this time of Kamadhenu a Celestial Wish Fulfilling Cow. The time felt ripe to work on this divine creature and I began my usual research practices.
The origin of the name Kamadhenu lies in 2 Sanskrit words "Kama" meaning desire and "Dhenu" meaning fulfilment ,hence she is The Wish Fulfilling Cow.There are many stories about her origin . She is known as Surabhi, Gomathi,Nandini, Maatrika etc. Each name stemming from a different story and from a different background. She can be found in of the hindu mythologies, she appears in stories of Krishna, Rama, Brahma, and Shiva. She is identified as Shakti, as Saraswati ,and as an epitome of selfless maternal love .
In most sources Kamadhenu is described as a miraculous, mythical creature with the head and breasts of a Woman and the body of a Cow . In some sources she is attributed with the Tail of a Peacock and Wings of an Eagle. The multidimensional Kamadhenu is thus accredited with a variety of exemplary qualities and divine powers stemming from the various creatures she is morphed out of. 

The Name Matrika was one which especially caught my interest. She is referred to thus in the Kamadhenu Tantra. The Tantra is set out in the form of a conversation between Parvati and Shiva in the fashion of most other
Shiva Shakti Tantras. Here Parvati asks Shiva about the 50 letters of the Sanskrit language , their origin and significance in the path to realization .The word Kamadhenu   here is  describing Devi in her form as Sarasvati, who rules speech, eloquence, words, music and all letters of the alphabet. She is represented as the shakti or consort of Brahma, one of the trinity in Hinduism. An in-depth and complete understanding of the science of letters through iSadhna can lead one to the rare status of Jivan Mukta meaning liberated while alive , says Shiva. This aspect is most appealing to me and for some reason brought me closer to an understanding of and a sense of, her essence.

As I was about to begin work on the mandala I also learnt that Lord Krishna advises ,that we worship Kamadhenu on the auspicious night of Diwali to receive her blessings. I promptly set an intent to try and complete the piece in time for the Puja. I had exactly one week to finish the mandala .which was really cutting it close. Luckily I found that some of my students were going on a holiday and my schedule opened up. The painting flowed smoothly almost lyrically, and as usual each step revealed itself only as I arrived upon it. By late Diwali evening Kamadhenu had helped fulfill my intent and desire and the Painting was ready for Puja. 
I pray that Kamadhenu helps my client realise her true desires and brings her joy and divine blessings. 

KAMADHENU GAYATRI MANTRA

*!*Om Shubhakamaya Vidmahe
Sree kaamadhatraye Dhimahi
Tanno Dhenu Prachodayat *!*

*Jai Maa*

Comments

Popular Posts